6th December 2019

Assessing the site following removal works

Coming back to see how the removal works have gone, we are pleased by the result, with the brickwork faces left in reasonable condition of the side wall following a painstaking combination of hand removal of the render with chisel and bolster, and then careful quilling to remove the last residue. You can see where the string course and plinth were hacked off to install wall tiling when this area was enclosed to form a boiler room in the late 1930’s.

The render remains on the archways, as these are coarse fletton infills which need to be removed and replaced with facing brickwork in the main works, at the same time as the heritage masons remove and make good the partition wall stubs, and repair the string course and plinth brickwork

Inside the Transmission Block the upper and lower spaces are now separated by the floor infill to the former void. At the beginning of the main works this will allow the new foundations within the ground floor to be formed at the same time as the 1944 roof is removed above, both allowing the new streel frame to be lifted in from above.

Within the Power Hall nearly all quilling is complete, so the historic lead paint has been removed from the walls, soffit, and the structure and other steelwork. It is being immediately replaced by the grey anti-corrosion primer, pending start of the main works. The plaster to the walls is removed to allow the installation of moisture open internal wall insulation, except over the glazed brick dado, which will be exposed in the future Dining Hall. At the far end of the space the former partitions that formed the workshop and stores are almost demolished; this area will become the school’s main kitchen – capable of serving over a thousand meals a day, all cooked on site.